Finance Officer Wanted – Christian Aid
Location Harare, Zimbabwe
Reports to (Job Title) Country Finance Officer
The Finance Officer is responsible for managing the finance function of Christian Aid’s Cyclone Idai response for Zimbabwe. Working together with our local partners, the Programme Officers and
Programme Manager, this role with ensure that financial budgeting is efficiently monitored and reporting internally and externally is produced in a timely manner. The role will also support partner financial capacity.
Tasks include to ensure efficient and accurate cash and bank books are maintained, monthly accounts and returns are produced in a timely manner, reports are extracted from the financial and administration systems to review the status of the budget and the adherence to financial policies and procedures.
• Cash, bank books and other financial documentation is maintained in an accurate and timely manner.
• Local budgets, donor funded programmes and appeal funds are managed, reviewed regularly and corrective action taken as necessary.
• Support Admin and Logs team on procurement policy implementation (Quotes request, order forms preparation and placement, etc.).
• Basic clerical duties such as filing conducted accurately and timely with due care and attention.
• Partner staff are supported in financial management.
• Good relationships with third parties, suppliers and partners are maintained through positive communication.
• Internal, external and donor audits are supported, and any actions dealt with.
Expected travel per annum Up to 40 days On call/unsocial hours YesSurge capacity for emergency responses No
In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm. To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is
consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
Role is located within the Zimbabwe Country Programme within the International Department, Africa Division. Specifically, the role will support efficient financial management for the Cyclone Idai response programme. The role will ensure all internal, partner and donor requests and requirements are met.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise
External Partner organisations, suppliers, consultants, service providers, banks, relevant government departments such as ZIMRA, NSSA
Internal Country programme staff, Humanitarian Programme Support and Finance Department
Provide financial monitoring and reporting of actual spend against budget. Make decisions on the content and accuracy of monthly financial reports. Support the maintenance of all financial records. Providing advice on financial policies and procedures to local Christian Aid staff.
Budgetary/savings responsibility Work with Senior Emergency Officer to ensure spend is within budget and manage any under-expenditure
Ability to apply logical thinking and common sense to gathering and analysing information, designing and testing solutions to problems, but also carrying out routine work.
Developing self and others
Continuously look for opportunities for self-development. Give and receive honest and open feedback in a timely manner. Will advise others in some technical financial matters.
Number of Direct reports N/A
Overall people management responsibility N/A
Role related checks
Child protection clearance Not required Counter terrorism screening Not required
• At least a Diploma or degree in Finance/Accounting
• Specialised knowledge of donor finance procedures and requirements.
• Verbal and written fluency in English.
• Proven ability to address a range of basic financial issues
• Experience in working in the non-profit sector
• Advanced use of Excel.
• Experience of dealing with institutional donor fund accounting.
• Training skills
• Qualification in IT, HR or office management