Africa Leather and Leather Products Institute (ALLPI) was established in November 1990, as an autonomous chartered Inter-Governmental Institution. ALLPI is headquartered in AddisAbaba, Ethiopia since 1993. It is headed by an Executive Director who reports to a Board of Directors that is appointed by a Council of Ministers.
The Executive Director will be appointed for four (4) years. He/She shall be eligible for re-appointment subject to satisfactory performance.
Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Report to: ALLPI Board of Directors
The ALLP I Executive Director is the Principal Executive Officer and legal representative of the Institute. He/She is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and implementing the overall mandate of ALLPI. He/She ensures efficient and cost-effective concern regarding the development of the leather industry in the region in particular and theAfrican continent, in general.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Supervise the implementation of the decisions of the Board of Directors.
- Plan, organize, direct, coordinate and monitor the activities ofALLPI and ensure that all activities are in line with the rules and regulations of the institute.
- With prior knowledge of the Board of Directors, appoint the General Service (GS) and promote Intermediate Categories. (IC)
- Ensure the proper functioning and development of the ALLPI
- Be responsible for the proper management of the administration and finances of the ALLPI
- Ensure the collection, storage, and dissemination of information relating to livestock population and its off-take rates, tanneries and leather products industries as well as material inputs for the leather industries.
- Promote training of personnel for the leather industry at various levels along the leather value chain, including the levels of tannery supervisors, production managers, quality control specialists, skilled operators, leather technologists, leather goods technicians, and designers and leather engineers for the maintenance of machinery and equipment for the manufacture of footwear and other leather products.
- Promote research and development in the areas of raw hides and skins, work methods and indigenous chemicals and materials used in leather manufacture, the testing and evaluation, and the development of local raw materials.
- Promote the use of know-how and transfer technology on new leather and leather products design.
- Maintain a register of available specialists in the region.
- Provide consultancy and extension services to the leather industry.
- Conduct tailor-made short courses based on the actual requirements of the industry in the region.
- Prepare and submit the budget of the ALLPI to the Board of Directors, and prepare annual progress reports for submission to the Council of Ministers.
- Undertake, on his/her initiative or as may be assigned to him/her by the board of directors, such works and studies and perform such services as they relate to the ALLPI and the implementation of the provisions of the Charter of ALLPI.
- Ensure periodic and regular comprehensive and high-quality financial utilization and activity progress reports are produced and submitted to the Board of Directors.
- Carry out such other functions that may be assigned to him/her in the charter of ALLPI and by the Board of Directors.
- Formulate and ensure the implementation of quality environmental policies.
- Provide the necessary resources to maintain and improve the system.
- Establish an appropriate communication process.
- Conduct a management review of the quality and Environmental Management System.
Qualifications And Experience
- Ph.D./Masters with at least 15 years relevant experience, 10 years of which at senior management level in the areas of leather, agriculture and Industry.
- At least 15 years of relevant work experience, with 10 years in a Senior Management position.
- Knowledge of ALLPI and/or COMESA region Basic background in the leather sector Ability to provide leadership, communicate effectively and promote a team approach to enhance staff commitment to successfully implement the organization’s strategic plan.
- Demonstrate technical and managerial ability, sound judgment and ability to interact and work efficiently at all levels.
- Good interpersonal communication skills and ability to effectively liaise with stakeholders Proficiency in computer skills.
Applicants need to be fluent in English and have a working knowledge of French and/or Arabic. A combination of any two (2) or all these languages will be an added advantage.