To lead, control and facilitate the implementation of all activities and programs within the Operating Theatre in consultation with the Nursing Manager and in collaboration with other hospital departments. Working closely with the Nursing Manager to ensure smooth running of the theatre and perioperative unit. Accountable for the effective delivery of competent, compassionate, and efficient care for the patients undergoing anesthesia, surgery and/or procedures. His/her role includes clinical practice supervision and guidance, human resources management including staffing and training and evaluations, financial planning and budget management
Duties And Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and direction for the staff in the surgical services arena while supporting and delivering the goals of the department, division, and hospital.
- Active involvement in scheduling of cases, and ensuring effective use of the OR. This will include co-ordination of pre-op optimization and preparation of patients in consultation with the surgeons,
- Ensures the effective delivery of competent, compassionate, and efficient care by monitoring and evaluating patient care processes. Acts in the role of patient advocate, supervising the overall goals of the department, through leadership, mentorship and guidance.
- Promotes a work environment that demonstrates caring by accessibility of safe equipment and adequate supplies in an efficiently arranged physical setting.
- Participates in and implements continuous quality improvement and risk management programs at the department level in a collaborative manner with multi-disciplinary colleagues. This includes strategic infrastructure maintenance and improvement.
- Monitors fiscal budget to control operational and capital expenditures while monitoring and adjusting staffing patterns to improve unit productivity.
- Identifies appropriate communication, and coordination to ensure smooth processes within the operating rooms.
- Communication and Accountability
- Generate and interpret reports for local and corporate reporting.
- Participates in department problem solving and improvement of systems.
- Ensures staff compliance with hospital policies.
Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing / Administration an added advantage.
- Diploma in Operating Theatre Nursing
- Current practicing certificate
- Over 3 years’ experience in supervisory level in theatre
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of theatre management
- Computer Certificate
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Information processing ability
- Attention to detail
- Decision Making & Problem Solving – Able to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; able to use reason, even when dealing with emotional topics; review facts and weigh options.
- Integrity – Ability to be tactful, maintain confidences, and foster an ethical work environment; prevent inappropriate behavior by coworkers; give proper credit to others; handle all situations honestly