Location: Jinja, Uganda
Purpose of the Role
The role will lead our work in East Africa into a new phase focused on scale-up and transition of our menstrual health learning into policy and practice, alongside building Irise into a resource for young women and girls. The key outcome of this role will be the development and implementation of an East Africa specific strategy and five-year plan that align with Irise International’s broader strategy for realizing period equality for everyone. The strategy is summarised below: The two pillars of Irise International’s current approach:• Women and girls’ voices- building a grassroots network of people who belong to “Irise” and can use the organization to create and drive change.• An evidence-based approach- using robust evidence and data to drive sustainable policy and practice change. We believe that these two strands combine to create long-lasting social change. Three strands of Irise International’s current strategy:- Creating solutions- developing holistic solutions to menstrual health that dismantle menstrual stigma and are led by young people and their communities alongside measures to track theirimpact.- Sharing learning- developing resources and training to build the capacity of stakeholders to address this issue across cultures and disciplines.- Shaping policy and practice- building platforms for evidence-based, beneficiary led advocacy and policy development.
Over the next five years, this strategy will position Irise Institute East Africa as experts in menstrual health, enabling them to scale-up evidence-based inter
Duties and Responsibilities
• Leading the development of the East Africa strategy in close collaboration with key stakeholders including the Irise Institute East Africa’s board and Irise International.• Restructuring the current team of staff, board members and volunteers to support delivery of the strategy and the new phase of organisational development.• Supporting and empowering staff to deliver their remits within the team including successful delivery of current projects.
• Working with Irise International to develop and deliver a fundraising plan to mobilise additional resources to support the new strategy.• Adding value to the team through effectively utilising volunteer and pro bono support and creating a supportive culture for this kind of input
Stakeholder management and relationship building
• Building Irise’s relationships with key menstrual health stakeholders in East Africa from across the private, public and third sector.• Developing and managing partnerships to maximise impact
Qualifications and training
Desirable:• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent• A masters degree in a relevant field• Any other formal or informal training or mentorship experience related to the role’s purpose skills
• Must have good command of English written and spoken• Very effective communicator with experience working with people from different sectors and disciplines.• Able to coordinate and oversee a portfolio of implementation, advocacy and policy projects andinitiatives• IT literate and comfortable with routine use of video conferencing, google drive and other platforms to support virtual collaborationDesirable:• Confident and experienced public speaker or facilitator• Able to write reports or other documents to a high standard• Able to collate and use data to inform decision making and strategy development
• Committed to realising global gender equality.• Committed to inclusive practice.• Professional and passionate ambassador for Irise’s cause• Interest in training and mentoring others to develop their skills and confidence• Committed to ongoing training and skills development in response to the needs of the positionand the organisation• Flexible and adaptable
Willing to occasionally work weekends and evenings. Willing to travel within Uganda, East Africa and occasionally to Europe.
Full-time or part-time role at 7-10 million UGX full-time equivalent before tax and other mandatory deductions, depending on experience. Based in our Jinja office, Uganda.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are right for the role to [email protected]