Project Assistant / ZAPIM Provincial Coordinator
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates Inc. is seeking qualified applicants for two positions of ZAPIM Provincial Coordinator for a US Government funded comprehensive malaria project in Zimbabwe. The 5-year project, now in the fourth year of implementation, works to strengthen the capacity of the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) at the national, provincial, district, and community levels, in the areas of case management and malaria in pregnancy, LLIN distribution, social behavior change communication, surveillance/M&E and research, and therapeutic efficacy trials.
Under the supervision of the Technical Director, the Provincial Coordinators will support the project’s CM, SBCC, LLINs and M&E activities. Currently the project operates in three provinces and a total of 15 districts within those provinces. The project continues to scale up support for community work in CM and SBCC The project is therefore seeking to recruit/second a person to work with the PMDs in coordinating ZAPIM activities at provincial and district level. The positions are based in Binga and Bindura, Zimbabwe.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate all ZAPIM related activities, meetings and trainings at provincial and district level
- Represent the ZAPIM project as required at relevant technical working groups, conferences and workshops at provincial and district level
- Serve as main point of contact/representative of the project
- In close liaison with the ZAPIM Technical Specialists and Provincial Malaria focal person develop and manage malaria provincial work plan activities, performance indicators and targets and also ensuring timely completion of activities against work plan deadlines
- Ensure that activities are implemented according to technical guidance from the Harare Office and global best practices
- Conduct ZAPIM activities follow-ups and provide support to districts
- Generate reports and document success stories
- Timely distribute commodities procured by ZAPIM
- Work with the province and districts in developing proposals/requests for funding from the Harare Office
- Assist ZAPIM Technical Specialists in payment of participants’ allowances and collection of invoices from vendors for submission to the Harare Office
- In close collaboration with the PEDCO organize/coordinate ZAPIM funded malaria trainings at provincial, district and local level including inspection of activities
- Maintain a database of all activities in the provinces
- Report to ZAPIM Technical Director and the PEDCO
Preferred Skils / Prerequisites
- Bachelors Degree in Environmental Health/ Public Health/ Social Science/ Health Promotion/ Community Health Nursing, or other relevant field (desirable)
- Five (5) years of relevant experience in malaria programming, or other relevant social science activities
- Experience working with government entities, stakeholder groups, health workers, local authorities, and community groups
- Ability to work well in a team environment and under pressure
- Previous work experience in Zimbabwe is required with strong familiarity with the desired province being applied for. Previous work experience with USAID health projects is desirable
- Willingness to travel within the country as needed
- Oral and written English language required, additional knowledge of recognized local languages preferred
- Must be Zimbabwean
- High school (AS or BA desirable) plus 3 years experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.