Applications from suitably qualified members are invited to fill the above-mentioned post at University of Zimbabwe (UZ)
Duties and Responsibilities
- To create original graphic design and layout concepts for books, journals and other University publications.
- Creating electronically-designed page layouts and imports word processing files into page layouts, as appropriate to the position; may develop and produce web-based graphics, as requested;
- Conceptualizing, planning, designing, and producing a wide range of specialized graphic, typesetting and/or illustrative material, to include multimedia concepts for published, printed or electronic books, journals and scientific magazines;
- Working with clientele to ascertain needs and to develop graphic directions, concepts, and specifications for assigned projects;
- Oversees and coordinates the production process; develops and writes printing and/or other production specifications, and selects appropriate production media and materials, such as ink paper and binding; and inspects proofs and advance copies for accuracy and adherence to appropriate production and University standards;
- Coordinating a graphics or photographic library and/or maintain digital records;
- Creating and producing animated videos and animated portions of live videos using computers and video production equipment for knowledge products marketing;
- Performing miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Higher National Diploma (HND) in Graphic Design or Arts
- A qualification in 3-D design; Illustration or printing would be an added advantage.
- Highly creative imaginative and analytical individual preferred; one with an acute vision, a good eye for design, layout and detail and is deadline-oriented.
- Ability to analyse and interpret user graphic requirements, graphic and technical information and to create interpretive illustrations;
- Skills in the utilization of specified computerized graphic design software and programs (e.g. in-design, CorelDraw, Photoshop, InDesign, PageMaker, Photoshop, Jpeg, Illustrator, Sketch and After Effects graphic, etc.);
- Experience and skills in digital publishing or e-publishing;
- Verifiable experience in book design and production; It would be helpful to provide what one has designed; a compelling portfolio of work over a wide range of creative projects a must;
- Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements and reproduction processes and techniques;
- A flexible, confident, patient and organized personality is preferred, as pressure to meet deadlines means that extra hours may be required at times;