Assistant Program Officer
The Determined, Resilient, Empowered, AIDS-free, Mentored, and Safe women (DREAMS) program in Zimbabwe is focused on reducing new HIV infections amongst adolescent girls and young women (AGYW). The DREAMS program is being implemented in six priority high HIV burden districts in Zimbabwe i.e. Bulawayo, Chipinge, Gweru, Mazowe, Makoni, and Mutare. The DREAMS Program core package of interventions consists of social asset building, social protection, family and caregiver skills building, community norms activities that are complemented by provision of youth friendly sexual and reproductive health services. FHI360’s primary role in the DREAMS Program is to deliver a comprehensive curriculum on HIV prevention, gender norms and community norms targeted at AGYW in school, out of school and their sexual partners at community level.
The Assistant Program Officer (APO) reports to the District Program Officer (DPO) and is responsible for supporting the DPO in the planning, coordination and implementation of the DREAMS Project activities. The APO works closely with the DPO to ensure that project implementation is in line with the approved proposal, budget and work-plan. She/He is responsible for administrative support at the FHI360 District Office, ensuring that the necessary paperwork and approvals have been submitted to the Project Manager.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Participates in designing Program, developing methodologies, work plans and budgets for the DREAMS Program
- Drafts inception plans and other program documents and communication
- Supports the coordination and management of the implementation of Project activities at district level, scheduling activities and monitoring the Project to make sure planned targets are achieved on time
- Ensures agreed quality standards for the management and outputs of DREAMS Project are met
- Works with the SIE team to implement the M&E action plan, making sure that M & E data for the Project is collected and MER reports are produced, as required
- Works closely with the Finance team to monitor Project expenses and to ensure accurate
- Project financial reporting Assists with drafting timely and professional
- Project narrative reports and submits them to the DPO, as required
- Contributes towards the development of Project IEC materials and messages, as appropriate
- Manages partner relations by supporting the partners, responding to their enquiries/queries and ensuring that there is effective communication regarding Project activities
- Arranges trainings for district staff or partners and assists in various capacity strengthening activities
- Plans/facilitates/rapporteurs at Project meetings, dialogues and workshops.
- Provides representation and/or participation of the organisation at various functions, including but not limited to workshops, dialogues, conferences and field visits
- Supervises, mentors and supports District Facilitators as well as reviewing their performance and producing related reports
- Performs other Project activities as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Communicates clearly verbally and in writing makes innovative and creative contributions to Project design
- Proactive; takes initiative and capitalises on opportunities Shows initiative in learning and self-development
- Executes work effectively and efficiently Acts according to FHI360 values; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions.
- Manages conflicting priorities to meet deadlines under strict time constraints
- Pays attention to detail in all Project outputs
- Makes quick and appropriate decisions in management situations
- Respectful, willing to cooperate with and support Project stakeholders including colleagues, beneficiaries, local community and local leaders
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor of Social Science Degree / or any other related degree
- Post basic qualification in Program Management or Adult Education or Health Promotions will be an added advantage 3 or more years’ experience in development work is an added advantage
- Experience with large complex organization is required, familiarity with international NGOs preferred
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.