Communications and Outreach Officer
VFWT is a Zimbabwean conservation organization supported by sister organizations registered in the US and UK. It was founded in 2008 by the local community in Victoria Falls and it now works across southern Africa, supporting community stewardship of wildlife, finding scientific solutions to conservation problems and by rehabilitating and releasing wildlife injured through human interference.
VFWT is seeking a Communications and Outreach Officer, to build its capacity to reach, educate and connect with international visitors to Victoria Falls, as well as maintaining its relationship with its supporters in Zimbabwe and overseas.
This role will be critical to the future development of the trust, to grow its supporter base and ensure it has the resources needed to continue its vital work.
Roles and responsibilities Events and visits
• Interact directly with international visitors and tourists, engaging and informing them about VFWT’s mission and successes, through activities such as events, presentations and guided visits to the trusts offices and high care center,
• Market, organize and schedule events, presentations and guided visits. Offering excellent customer service to visitors, tour operators and lodges,
• Support the organization and delivery of other fund raising and promotional events as required,
• Developing new communications and marketing materials for use in events, digital and social media,
• Work with our international team on collateral, edits, checking links and database for errors
• Develop and maintain records or database of contacts and potential supporters,
• Liaise with multi-national fundraising team, particularly to support the growth of our supporter network and relationship development with major donors,
• Keep simple accounts and budgets including the responsible handling of any donations and receipt of donations,
Skills and Experience Essential
• 2 to 3 years work experience in marketing, journalism, communications or tourism related role as a tour leader,
• Excellent communicator with polished interpersonal skills, a confident and engaging public speaker who is also able to write concise and engaging copy,
• Strong spoken and written English,
• Competent with a range of software including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and basic photo management (Flickr, Dropbox,etc) and editing,
• Competent with web design and social media tools including WordPress, Facebook, MailChimp, Twitter,
• Confident to interact with and present our Wildlife Ambassadors
• Must be willing to work occasionally on weekends or outside of office hours, • Committed to the conservation of wildlife across Southern Africa,
• Experience in wildlife tourism as host or guide,
• Fluency in other Zimbabwean, regional and/or European languages,
• Relevant degree level qualification either related to conservation, communication or marketing,
• Management of Customer Relationship Management or similar databases,
• Photographic skills,
Terms and conditions
This role will be offered on a 12-month contract initially with the potential to extend based on performance of the post holder. A competitive salary will be offered commensurate with skills and experience of the successful candidate. Applicants must be ready to live and work in or near Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a CV and 2 page covering letter outlining their suitability The closing date for this vacancy is: March 31st, 2019
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we will only be able to contact applicants shortlisted for interview.
Applications from all parts of our community are welcomed and encouraged
To apply for this job email your details to [email protected]