CIVIL & STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
Higherlife Foundation is a not for profit organisation focusing on Human Capital Development for sustainable livelihoods are looking for a qualified and experienced Civil and Structural Engineer who is available to work part time on a project by project basis to oversee and monitor contractors by providing day to day site inspections, auditing and coordination of assigned civil construction projects.
Qualifications and Experience
• Degree in Civil Engineering, or equivalent.
• Demonstrated experience in Civil engineering design and construction with a strong emphasis in the design of civil infrastructure.
• Demonstrated project management experience coordinating consultants to deliver multiple projects that meet strict deadlines, budgets and deliver identified outcomes.
• Experience in applying relevant legislative, statutory and industry standards in relation to civil engineering design.
• Demonstrated experience investigating, analysing and resolving difficult design problems.
• Demonstrated experience applying Risk Management and Workplace Health and Safety principles and policies to civil design projects and the workplace.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively plan the use of resources to meet the requirements of the organisation.
• Experience with calculating Bill of Quantities, tender document preparation, tender assessments and recommendations.
• Advanced construction experience in Land or Infrastructure development (including areas such as roads, drainage, sewer and water)..
• Demonstrated experience with relevant authorities and civil contractors.
• Extensive knowledge of approvals processes required by all authorities/stakeholders prior to and during work on civil construction sites.
• Ability to resolve design and contractual conflicts and satisfactorily negotiate appropriate outcomes.
• Be willing to work on a project by project basis
Key Result Areas
• Receives project briefs, scopes, investigate, define and prepare project plans for designs and investigations.
• Conducts civil and structural surveys for all assigned projects.
• Oversees all building works for all assigned projects.
• Management of the preparation of civil design plans, specifications and estimates for a range of civil design projects.
• Monitor the progress of construction works and advise clients of compliance, or otherwise, against project requirements.
• Review all design documentation prepared and ensure that it is correct to a high degree of accuracy, suitable for construction and in accordance with all relevant standards and Legislation.
• Inspect works to ensure that they are constructed in accordance with the engineering designs, contract specifications and authority requirements.
• Resolve design issues that may occur on-site, seeking guidance from the relevant Design Engineer when necessary.
• Co-ordinate and attend project meetings, maintain meeting records and agreed actions, and follow through to ensure actions are completed.
• Undertake inspections of construction works to confirm compliance with design documentation.
• Provide regular project updates to the client in relation to progress and construction issues that may impact on project compliance or cause delays.
• Identifies, recommends and manages contractors to ensure delivery of service in line with contract and SLAs through direct reports.
• Monitor the effectiveness of the contractor in the delivery of the project, and where required, issue works instructions to contractors during construction.
• Undertake post construction reviews and recommend areas of improvement.
• Implements Civil and Structural works stakeholders communication plans.