APOPO is currently recruiting a Program Manager for assisting in the startup of up its demining activities in Zimbabwe. The start date of the position would be July 1st, 2016. The work station will be in Harare with frequent travel to the operations site.
• Overall responsibility for planning, management and development of APOPO’s
programming in Zimbabwe.
• Overall responsibility for acquisition and management of donor funding in
Zimbabwe and ensuring that project activities contribute to the objectives of the
project and within the framework of APOPOs organisational values.
• Primary liaison with the Zimbabwe Mine Action Centre, donors and other mine
action operators in Zimbabwe.
• Maintain and strengthen cooperation with APOPOs national partners.
• Ultimate responsibility for project expenditures and fiscal control.
• Coordinate and support the import, trial, testing and deployment of Mine
Detection Rats (MDR) in Zimbabwe.
• Regular exchange of information with the Africa Director, Head of Mine Action
and with APOPO HQ in Tanzania.
• Minimum, 1st level university degree or military staff college qualification
• Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement
• Minimum 5 years mine action experience.
• Experience in operational planning of mine action activities.
• Knowledge of International Mine Action Standards.
• Detailed understanding of the concept of land-release management.
• Project Management experience.
• Experience in resource mobilization.
• Strong analytical and planning skills.
• Experience interacting with National Mine Action Authorities
1 Overall responsibility for planning, management and development of
APOPO’s programming in Zimbabwe
• Represent APOPO in Zimbabwe.
• Establish contact with central and local authorities and obtain the necessary permits and registrations, including accreditation if required.
• Ensure appropriate documentation of operational activities and regular reporting to the donors and national authorities.
• Manage the Human Resources (recruitment, training and preparation for work).
• Manage the Logistics (purchase and control of assets).
• Manage APOPOs mine action budget in Zimbabwe.
• Plan and design project cycle
• Develop tools, methodology and training modules for staff, including SOPs
2 Overall responsibility for acquisition and management of donor funding in
• Ensure that resources are allocated to the project(s) within the approved budget allowing for an efficient and effective implementation of operations.
• Ensure funds are requested in a timely manner and used transparently and within the framework of the respective donor grant agreement(s) with APOPO.
• Approve all requests for money, purchase orders and project staff travel arrangements.
• Research and source suitable funding opportunities/grants with details on requirements and restrictions, target groups and areas of interest.
• Write grant applications and budgets, log frames and proposals.
• Support other activities as needed in regards to fundraising.
3 Serve as the primary liaison with the Zimbabwe Mine Action Centre (ZMAC),
donors and other mine action operators in Zimbabwe
• Coordinate closely with the local Demining Unit Manager
• Meet regularly with ZMAC HQ to discuss project progress and issues arising.
• Meet regularly with donors and potential donors to update on project progress
• Represent APOPO for signing grant agreements with respective donors and at
• Coordinate and meet other MA operators on a regular basis to share best
practices, discuss arising issues and lessons learned.
4 Ultimate responsibility for project expenditures and fiscal control
• Sign and approve all purchase orders and requests for money and other claims in accordance to APOPO procurement policy.
• Coordinate cash flow.
• Finalise project monthly accounts.
• Track project expenditures.
• Coordinate price comparisons.
• Prepare financial results and coordinate with auditors.
• Keep day to day accounts of country office.
• Prepare budget and forecast and variation analysis.
• Maintain the Chart of Accounts of the local office.
• Prepare monthly statements for management reporting.
• Compile and submit financial reports and meet reporting requirements and
• Manage local procurement and logistics for the country office.
• Manage tax related issues of the country office.
• Maintain bank accounts.
5 Coordinate and support the import, trial, testing and deployment of MDR in
• Liaise closely with ZMAC for the import of MDR.
• Coordinate with HQ the transport of MDR to Zimbabwe.
• Prepare and maintain with Operations Manager the kennels and training field for MDR.
• Ensure welfare of the MDR and associated staff.
• Liaise closely with ZMAC and Operations Manager to prepare a test plan for MDR, the deployment of the MDR team and the accreditation of the MDR.
6 Regular exchange of information with the Head of Mine Action and with HQ in
• Provide updates in Skype meetings.
• Provide input to the APOPO Annual Report.
• Participate in APOPO management meetings as required.
• Report any relevant information about mine action and stakeholders in Zimbabwe to the management meeting.
• Provide input to the APOPO communications team in support of the website or general communications.
Please join APOPO’s dynamic international team and help us make a difference! Send your CV and motivation letter to the following link http://bit.ly/1XLvCHH