STUDY COORDINATOR (12-month contract; Payclass 09) Department of Medicine Faculty of Health Sciences – University of Capetown Town
The Department of Medicine invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for a 12-month contract position
as a Study Coordinator for appointment as soon as possible. We are looking for an individual with experience
in clinical research as well as experience in managing projects to join our team working on TB/HIV related project;
StatinTB. This is a proof-of-concept, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the safety and
efficacy of atorvastatin to reduce inflammation after tuberculosis treatment completion in HIV-infected and HIVuninfected adults measured by FDG-PET/CT.
The prospective candidate will be required to coordinate the implementation of the European and Developing
Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP)-funded StatinTB protocol between the University of Cape Town (UCT)
and the clinical research site that will be based in Milnerton, Cape Town.
This 12-month full-time contract post will be held at the Department of Medicine within the Faculty of Health
Sciences of the University of Cape Town (UCT). The daily activities of this post will be 90% based at the
clinical research site in Milnerton and 10% at UCT.
• Diploma or Degree in General nursing
• Registered Professional Nurse with the South African Nursing Council (SANC)
• 2 years post qualification experience in a hospital or clinic nursing care
• At least 3 years of clinical research experience
• At least 1 years’ experience managing a project
• Proficiency in phlebotomy and vital signs assessments
• Current GCP certification
• Basic computer skills including word processing and emailing
• Excellent time management
• Ability to manage projects
• Valid driver’s licence
• Verbal and written fluency in isiXhosa or Afrikaans
• Current Work Permit for South Africa (if non-South African)
• Experience in TB/HIV research
• Study coordinator experience.
• Oversee participant recruitment and retention according to the protocols and GCP standards
• Clinical procedures such as vital signs and phlebotomy and collection of any other required samples
• Research data is collected and captured according to the SOPs and GCP
• Oversee daily Quality Control activities
• Run daily staff meetings and biweekly meetings with Site Director
• Assist with creating and maintaining SOPs
• Assist with Regulatory Affairs
• Staff training as required
• Communicate with laboratory, pharmacy and PET/CT centers
• Assist Site Director with running clinical site and managing site staff
• Oversee Clinic stock control and maintenance of clinic equipment
The annual cost of employment, is between R254 510 and R473 264
How to apply
To apply, please e-mail the documents listed below in a single pdf file to the Medicine HR-Hub
Administrator at: HR-hub-Medicine@uct.ac.za
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
– Cover letter, and
– Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Candidates may make informal enquiries in confidence via email to Dr. Sandra Mukasa (email@example.com)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo an assessment.
Telephone: 021 406 6088 Website: www.medicine.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E20129 Closing date: 11 February 2020
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our
Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf
For this post we seek particularly to attract black South African (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian) candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.