STATISTICIAN (Payclass 11) Institutional Information Unit (IIU) Institutional Planning Department (IPD) – University of Capetown Town
The Institutional Planning Department, situated in the Deputy Vice Chancellor of Teaching and Learning’s portfolio,
is seeking to appoint a Statistician within the Department’s Institutional Information Unit. The Institutional
Planning Department responds to UCT’s strategic goals by providing research, information and advice to support
planning and decision-making, and to promote a culture of continuous improvement.
The main purpose of this position is to improve UCT’s current institutional research capacity in order to promote
data-driven decision-making and predictive analysis.
The main purpose of this position is to provide statistical expertise and analysis of quantitative data, including
learning analytics, that will support the work of the Unit, and the Institutional Planning Department more broadly.
• An honours degree (NQF 8 level) in pure or applied statistics, or in a comparable field or an equivalent
• A minimum of 7 years recent and relevant experience of which 2 years’ experience should be as a
statistician, ideally in an educational or applied environment.
• Appropriate project management/coordination experience, including planning, organising, reporting and
• Proven ability to develop, administer and analyse surveys and to construct statistical models.
• High level proficiency in the use of the MS Office Suite with a focus on MS Access/SQL and MS Excel at an
• Be proficient in the use of databases.
• Proficiency in Statistical packages such as SPSS, Statistica, STATA, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team, use initiative, and be flexible.
• The ability to multi-task, prioritise work appropriately, work under pressure and to work accurately with
• Attention to detail, report writing, good presentation skills and an uncompromising attitude to meeting
deadlines without sacrificing quality.
• The ability to maintain sound high level internal and external stakeholder relations.
• A high level of integrity in handling sensitive information.
• An appropriate Master’s degree (NQF9 level).
• Proficiency in a Business Intelligence package, ideally SAP Business Objects.
• Knowledge of the national and international higher education sector.
• Experience of using student academic records, performance data and appropriate analytical methods.
• Initiate and conduct institutional research as required.
• Provide data and analyses required for decision-making purposes in the institution in relation to the Higher
Education (HE) environment.
• Extract, analyze, compile and collate data into written reports, presentations and possibly academic
• Advise and train staff in respect of statistical methods and models.
• Create and maintain sound stakeholder relations and provide professional advice.
• Perform any additional tasks/adhoc as and when required.
The annual cost of employment, including benefits is between R615 025 – R723 556.
How to apply
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
– A comprehensive cover letter that responds to each of the minimum requirements
– Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and will be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 2163 Website: www.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E200117 Closing date: 02 March 2020
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our
Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.