SENIOR LECTURER IN DESIGN Chemical Engineering/Civil Engineering/Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Engineering / School of Architecture, Planning and Geomatics/Construction Economics and Management – University of Capetown Town
The Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment enjoys an international reputation. One of the core aspects
of our vision as a Faculty is to develop outstanding graduates and scholars, who contribute to society and address
socioeconomic challenges through their work. At the heart of our vision is the desire to foster strong analytical
skills, practical ingenuity and creativity, good communication and high ethical standards and professionalism, as
well as the ability to be lifelong learners.
The Faculty is seeking to appoint a permanent, full-time South African academic from the designated groups at
Senior Lecturer level to further the developing focus on experiential education and to teach into design in the
Engineering or Built Environment disciplines. This person will be expected to contribute to the leadership of the
Faculty in both teaching and research. Furthermore, the person is expected to be proactively involved in leading
and shaping the Faculty as it engages with future challenges. We invite suitably qualified persons to apply for this
• A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or the Built Environment;
• A PhD in Engineering, Built Environment or related fields;
• Strong teaching and supervision experience including post-graduate supervision;
• A recent publication record of peer reviewed research scholarship and/or creative works;
• A strong recent involvement in an academic and/or applied research environment;
• Experience in a combination of industry and/or academic settings, with some focus on innovation, design, or
cross-disciplinary project work.
• A track record of research projects and securing funding;
• Professional registration;
• National Research Foundation rating or equivalent;
• Experience of teaching drawing or design with a future oriented focus and/or to students across different
departments in an engineering faculty;
• Evidence of engaged scholarship and social responsiveness.
The successful candidate is expected to:
• Lecture to students, develop course material and contribute to excellence in undergraduate and postgraduate
teaching, especially within design;
• Conduct research, supervise postgraduate students, publish in refereed journals and contribute to excellence in
research in the Faculty;
• Contribute to the leadership of the Faculty;
• Contribute to the Faculty’s social responsiveness by engaging with community and/or industry through teaching
The annual cost of employment, including benefits is R887 294.
How to apply
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file (max size 10Mb) to Ms Abigail Dixon at
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc);
– Curriculum Vitae (CV);
– A 1-2-page statement of interest specifying the relevance of the applicant’s experience to the Faculty; and
– Names and complete contact information for three references.
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete and may not be
considered. Shortlisted candidates may be required to deliver a short presentation to the Faculty.
Telephone: 021 650 1673 Website: www.ebe.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E200104 Closing date: 10 February 2020
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our
Employment Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf. For this
post we seek particularly to attract South African candidates from the designated groups.