RESEARCH PROJECT MANAGER (Payclass 11) Centre for Educational Testing for Access and Placement (CETAP) Centre for Higher Education Development (CHED) – University of Capetown Town
The Centre for Educational Testing for Access and Placement’s (CETAP) mission as a department within the Centre for Higher
Education Development (CHED) is to provide educational testing that contributes to access and success at the University of Cape
Town and in the broader higher education and training sector.
The main purpose is to support the Director in the advocacy, project management and dissemination of research work of CETAP
in pursuing the strategic vision and growth plan of the department. The main focus of the Research Project Manager position is
to translate the research and development of CETAP into actions and outputs, including reports and presentations. The output
provided by Research Project Manager is the prime interface between internal and external stakeholders, the staff and partners
on research and collaborative projects.
• A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline, for example Social Sciences, Humanities
• At least five years’ relevant experience, of which 3 years should be in the Higher Education sector
• Proficiency in research project management, including planning, co-ordination, execution, delivery, quality assurance,
reporting and meeting deadlines
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills, particularly the ability to communicate academic research at a level
appropriate to a range of audiences
• Strong skills in data analysis, interpreting quantitative information and ability to use Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• The ability to manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability in a high-pressured environment
The following would be advantageous:
• Experience of educational testing
• Experience in statistical software such as Stata or R
• Evidence of authoring academic writing and/or publishing.
The responsibilities will include:
• Work with current projects, identify areas for future research collaboration and initiate processes necessary to carry out
the required research
• translate research output into reports and presentations
• Write research funding proposals and reports new growth opportunities
• Run quantitative analysis together with Statistician
• Supervise several randomized impact evaluations/research projects.
• Responsible for the completion, delivery and output of projects
• Contribute to the CETAP strategic planning and communication processes.
• Liaise with other strategic partners on behalf of the Director
• Oversees the adaptation and design of the annual report and other internal publications as they arise.
• Write or contributes to writing, editing, proofreading, project-managing, and compiling of CETAP reports, including
National and Institutional NBT Performance reports.
The annual cost of employment, including benefits (where applicable), for 2020 is between R615 025 – R723 556
How to apply
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Tracy Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
– Cover letter, and
– Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 5462 Website: www.ched.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E200112 Closing date: 10 February 2020
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy
is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf . For this post we seek particularly to
attract black (i.e. African, Coloured, Indian) South African candidates and candidates with disabilities.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.