INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCHER (5-YEAR CONTRACT) (Payclass 12) Institutional Information Unit Institutional Planning Department – University of Capetown Town
The Institutional Planning Department, situated in the Deputy Vice Chancellor of Teaching and Learning’s portfolio, is seeking to
appoint an Institutional Researcher within the Department’s Institutional Information Unit. The Institutional Planning
Department responds to UCT’s strategic goals by providing research, information and advice to support planning and decisionmaking, and to promote a culture of continuous improvement.
The main purpose of this position is to improve UCT’s current institutional research capacity in order to promote data-driven
decision-making and predictive analysis.
• A Master’s degree (NQF 9 level) in pure or applied statistics, or in a comparable field
• A minimum of 7 years recent and relevant work experience in analysis of large data sets in a higher educational
environment or any other cognate field
• Knowledge of the national and international higher education sector
• Appropriate technical project management/coordination experience, including planning, organising, reporting and
presenting skills with a keen attention to detail
• Proven experience in developing surveys and statistical models
• Sound interpersonal and good communication skills (verbal and written)
• Proven competence in the use of data management and statistical analysis tools
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team, use initiative, and be flexible
• The ability to multi-task, prioritise work appropriately, work under pressure and to work independently and accurately
with minimal supervision
• The ability to maintain sound high level internal and external stakeholder relations
• High level of integrity in handling sensitive information
• A Doctoral degree (NQF10 level)
• Proficiency in Management Information Systems
• Proficiency in Business Intelligence, ideally SAP Business Objects
• Competence in the use of PeopleSoft
• An understanding of student performance data and appropriate analytical methods
• Experience in survey administration and data cleaning and validation
• Experience in Institutional Research at a public higher institution
• Extract, analyze, compile and collate data into written reports, presentations and possibly academic publications
• Provide data and analyses required for decision-making purposes in the institution in relation to the Higher Education
• Conduct peer comparative institutional research as required by Executive and the Deans
• Initiate and conduct environmental scans
The annual cost of employment for 2020, including benefits is between R830 552 – R977 119.
How to apply
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Mr Ian Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
– A comprehensive cover letter that responds to each of the minimum requirements
– Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
Telephone: 021 650 2163 Website: www.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E200107 Closing date: 07 February 2020
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy
is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.