INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH AND QUALITY ASSURANCE DIRECTOR – NUST
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons for the following posts in the Vice-Chancellor’s Office:
1. INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH AND QUALITY ASSURANCE DIRECTOR
This high profile position seeks a creative thinker who will be expected to spearhead the integration of the currently devolved institutional quality assurance functions of the university to advance academic excellence in the realm of STEM higher education and the Education 5.0 focus in the contemporary Zimbabwean context. The anticipated diverse footprints of the Institutional Research and Quality Assurance Director and his/her Office will include, inter alia, walking and working the NUST vision, mission, and strategic directions through promotion of customer satisfaction, enhancement of operational and financial efficiency, championing continuous improvement efforts, and prompt detection of impediments to quality practice. This will entail constant, effective and systematic interaction with other members of the NUST Management Team, coupled with a tactical oversight of the operations of the entire university community, to ensure protection of the University’s reputation and its compliance with prevailing quality assurance advisory and regulatory frameworks.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor through the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Academic, Research and Consultancy), the Director will maintain working links with the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Innovation and Business Development), the Registrar, the Bursar, the Librarian, Principal Officers’ Deputies, Faculty Deans, Dean of Students, Directors of Institutes, Centres and Sections, Chairpersons of Departments, and other line managers. The position therefore calls for a flexible but focussed individual with a proven inclination towards organisational management at senior level, and/or expertise in service delivery.
Key Performance Areas
The successful applicant will be expected to:
• Source, avail and manage knowledge and information on quality assurance matters pertaining to teaching and learning, research and development, student welfare, campus facilities, all-round operational efficiency, and any other functions as defined by university leadership from time to time.
• Contribute to the initiation, development, implementation and review of academic programmes and other projects to safeguard institutional quality standards.
• Identify deficiencies in systems and operations and proffer effective corrective solutions.
• Initiate and execute relevant education and training to University employees of various grades.
• Monitor institutional effectiveness and assist managers to make informed decisions.
• Investigate client needs and experiences and solve problems through consensus.
• Collect and analyse client performance data to explain problematic issues and predict trends affecting quality product and service delivery.
• Liaise with local and international vanguards and custodians of quality assurance to enhance the university’s competitive advantage.
• Integrate agreed international standards into the work of the University towards building a world-class, progressive and high ranking institution.
• Be an active member of relevant committees of Senate and boards, with specific responsibility for policy determination and oversight on standards of academic, operational, student welfare and support services.
Key Competencies and Attributes
The successful applicant will be expected to display a good combination of the following:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, computer literacy, and the ability to articulate and report on visions, perspectives, events and trends pertaining to institutional quality.
• Ability to connect smoothly with the internal and external publics.
• High level decision-making and problem-solving skills.
• Client-centred focus and proven organisational skills.
• Ability to create and promote a culture of proactivity, innovation, transparency, efficiency, collaboration, and flexibility.
Qualifications and Experience
The post requires an individual with the following:
• An earned doctorate degree in quality assurance or management or any closely related discipline, backed by strong and well-aligned undergraduate and masters’ degrees preferably in a STEM discipline, all from recognised Universities or other higher education institutions.
• At least ten (10) years’ experience working in quality assurance systems implementation and management at a university or other high profile institution or organisation, or similar experience in university teaching, research or other senior position in which quality assurance is embedded.
All applications will be treated in strictest confidence. Applications, which should include a curriculum vitae (giving full personal particulars of applicant including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, employment and experience, present salary, telephone numbers and the names, addresses (including email) and telephone numbers of three contactable referees) and copies of certificates must be addressed to:
The Senior Assistant Registrar (Academic) Human Resources Department
National University of Science and Technology P. 0. Box AC 939
and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single pdf file clearly indicating the position being applied for. Those who responded to the previous advertisements need not apply.
The closing date for the receipt of the applications is Friday, 10 January 2020.
The National University of Science and Technology is an equal opportunities employer. In the interest of promoting gender parity, female candidates are encouraged to apply.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED