DISTRICT MEDICAL OFFICER X4- MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND CHILD CARE
GRADE: E5/E51 STATIONS: GOKWE NORTH AND GOKWE SOUTH, UMZINGWANE AND INSIZA DISTRICTS JOB PURPOSE
The District Medical Officer has the responsibility for planning, organizing, managing, coordinating and implementing health and health related activities in the District of jurisdiction under the direction of the Provincial Medical Director.
1. Responsible for provision of clinical services in the district.
2. Ensures that professional standards are maintained in the provision of clinical services.
3. Initiates strategies to improve quality by promoting medical and clinical audits in health institutions in the district and encourages the development of evidence based clinical practice and research.
4. Promotes a positive image for the hospital with the media or general public where clinical matters are concerned.
5. Performs a number of medico-legal examinations for the police and to give evidence in courts of law as required.
6. Ensures adherence to rules and regulations and enforces discipline among staff.
7. Allocates and delegates duties to other officers having due regard for their capabilities.
8. Controlling officer of all districts.
2 | P a g e
9. Interprets and translates national priorities and objectives into district objectives and targets.
10. Directs the planning of an integrated health service for the district through consultations with other interested parties.
11. Responsible for the development of costed annual and quarterly plans and budgets and their implementation and review (holds planning meetings with DHE to develop work plans and budgets).
12. Responsible for the timely submission of annual and quarterly progress and financial reports.
13. Manages and administers health activities within and outside the hospital.
14. Ensures that there are good management systems in the district.
15. Supports and supervision of district wide health services (visiting Rural Health Centres, Mission hospitals, private health facilities and public health services to supervise them regularly for administrative and professional purposes).
16. Organizing and directing or co-coordinating all the necessary action against major communicable and other similar diseases of public health importance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
2. A qualification in Public Health (MPH) will be an added advantage.
3. At least 2 years post internship experience.
4. Proficiency in computers.
5. Current registration with the Medical and Dental Practitioners Council of Zimbabwe.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1 Analytical and innovative thinking, Strong leadership organizational and interpersonal skills.
2 Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate with a variety of individuals including physicians, the general public, volunteers, and associates.
3 Ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, and interpret the necessary programs, goals, policies, and objectives that are necessary for providing quality care and maintaining a sound operation within the district.
4 Knowledge of hospital practices and procedures as well as laws, regulations, and guidelines pertaining to healthcare.
Candidates who meet the requirements of the posts are invited to submit their applications accompanied by CVs and certified copies of certificates not later than 15 November 2019 to:
The Executive Director
Health Service Board
Old Parirenyatwa Hospital
P. Bag A6104 Avondale, Harare