Bookkeeping and Administration Assistant – Act
Organization: ACT in Africa
Type of Contract: Part-time (15 – 20 hours a week)
Duration of Contract: One Year Contract (with possibility of extension)
Closing Date: Rolling Application until vacancy is filled
About the ACT Group
The ACT group is comprised of two organisations:
ACT in Africa: a non-profit that focuses on creating gender-balanced employment
growth by training young Zimbabweans in human-centered design (HCD) research,
and helping small businesses grow through HCD research support, business skills
training, mentorship, and access to capital.
xACT Design: a for-profit consultancy that provides innovation services to larger
corporates. xACT Design was spun out of the ACT in Africa Entrepreneurship
Program. Our team helps organizations develop an innovation strategy through
human-centred research and design. We drive innovation by developing a deep
understanding of the end-user and creating a customer-centric approach to product
design and service delivery.
The Applicant’s main activities will primarily be to map, coordinate and manage bookkeeping procedures and systems and devising ways to streamline processes. Secondly, the applicant will have to assist the Operations Lead in some administrative tasks. The applicant should be a detail orientated, analytical person with a passion for problem solving. Ultimately, the applicant should be able to manage the bookkeeping and administrative systems of the organization.
- Handle weekly/monthly accounting and booking operations such as filing,data entry etc. specifically but not limited to:
• Producing monthly financial reports
• Processing transactions and updating ledgers, budgets, etc.
• Assisting with fact checks, and resolving discrepancies
• Data entry to accounting system
• Handle petty cash and bank receipts
• Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts
• Assist in preparing monthly and financial status reports
• Accomplish other tasks assigned by the supervisor
- Control and check the monthly accounts and various administrative activities,
in order to verify and certify disbursements are in accordance with project
- Pre-approve vouchers, including project disbursements
- Assist with monitoring local compliance regulations
- Help with any administrative work that may be required
- Participate in a weekly meeting with Operations and the ACT Team Lead with a progress update and upcoming task for the current week
- Handling communications with clients and suppliers via phone, email, and in-person.
- Assist Operations in any Due Diligence activities
- Monitor the day-to-day personnel and administrative operations of the office;
- Contribute to providing a healthy and respectful working environment, free from hazard or security risks
- Assist with the implementation of processes and procedures to improve and strengthen internal controls
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Preparation of payment documents and filing of records.
- Inputting data into a Computerised Accounting System
- Banking (deposits and withdrawals)
- Reconciliation of accounts
- Monthly and yearly financial reports
- Supporting in the management of ACT administrative processes and procedures
Ideally candidate (s) should have:
- A certificate or diploma in bookkeeping
- 1 – 2 years working experience in bookkeeping and administration or a similar or related position
- Working knowledge and experience of Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sound knowledge of SAP, quickbooks or pastel accounting packages (added advantage)
- Experience working with NGOs or donor-funded programs (added advantage)
- Good analytical, negotiating and problem solving skills
- Must be a self-starter with the capacity to work under pressure and with minimum supervision.
- Highly organised, commitment to high-quality work
- Must possess a positive and professional attitude and work ethic, and must be able to work in a team
- Strong time management skills
Application Submission: Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ideally the successful candidate will be expected to start on February 3rd, 2020.